Sex Talk

Embarrassed to Admit to Being a Virgin

Q from a Female, Sophomore student at UConn: Why are guys embarrassed to admit to being virgins?

Dr. Caron's Response: We give many, many social messages to boys as they are growing up to be competent, to be knowledgeable, and to be in charge - in such areas as sports, social performance, etc. Thus, in this way, young men assume they are supposed to know and be competent in everything - even in sexual matters - before they have the experience. Everyone is a beginner sometime. There is a first time and that can be very special.

© 2008, Sandra L. Caron

*    *    *

It is not sex that gives the pleasure, but the lover. - Marge Piercy

American teens have the worst of all worlds...Our children are bombarded and confronted with sexual messages, sexual exploitation, and all manner of sexual criticism. But our society is by and large sexually illiterate. Faye Westheimer

Dr. Sandra L. Caron is a professor of human sexuality at the University of Maine. To submit a question to Dr. Caron or chat with your peers visit Got a question for Dr. Caron? Visit and ask away! Get a guaranteed personal and confidential response to your question: or E-Mail

Contact Us | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement
Menstuff® Directory
Menstuff® is a registered trademark of Gordon Clay
©1996-2019, Gordon Clay